In the early 1900’s, Harvey Gray, a prominent Tyrone businessman had a vision—to build a hospital to care for the people of Tyrone and surrounding areas. When Mr. Gray passed away and his last will and testament was filed, it was found that he directed some income from certain investments to go toward maintaining a general hospital in Tyrone. When Harvey’s widow Adda died fifteen years later their combined bequests provided $150,000 of “seed money” to establish Tyrone Hospital. The Tyrone Borough Water department provided the location, donating nearly 17 acres of wooded land west of the Laurel Ridge. The people of Tyrone realized the Gray’s vision of a community hospital over a period of years. Numerous community residents, businesses, and social and civic organizations donated time and funds to support the construction of the hospital. A contribution was also made by Tyrone’s famous son, Fred Waring who gave a concert in Tyrone to benefit Tyrone Hospital.
On September 20, 1954 Tyrone Hospital opened its doors and accepted its first patient. Over the years, the hospital has grown to bring personalized health care not only to the residents of Northern Blair County but also to communities in neighboring counties. That growth has included state of the art medical equipment, an expanded range of services, and a diverse medical staff.
Fred Waring (back seat) with Annie Getz, Ben Jones and Tedd Feller (Driving) at the hospital grand opening in 1954.